Cacophony. That’s all I could think about. This huge big blur of noise, people talking and eating and drinking so loud I couldn’t hear myself think.
It was Thanksgiving at a friend’s house, and I didn’t feel the least bit thankful. It was foggy and grey, the beautiful colors that were supposed to be the landscape failed to show, and tensions between people just added to my not thankful list.
You see, where I come from, we celebrate Thanksgiving a month early, for probably the same reason we have bagged milk: we’re Canadians. Yet for many of us, its’ just another day to rest, sleep in, and eat. Sadly, and not rightly, myself included. It’s easy to be jaded by everything, it’s easy to not give thanks.
But that’s just plain wrong. There is so much to give thanks for, even when it doesn’t seem like it. So. Here goes.
1. for the grace of God to make it through each and every day.
2. for music which keeps me tapping my feet and putting a smile on my face.
3. for family, though as broken as it is, is still together and held by God.
4. for people who truly, genuinely, despite all common sense, care. The ones who sit by you on the curb, text you at midnight because they thought of you, and aren’t scared of calling you out on something. It means more then they’ll ever know.
5. for cameras, for devices that can capture memories for life.
6. for the Bible, because thriving without God’s word simply is not possible.
7. for prayer, that we can talk to the Creator of all life.
8. for coffee, because coffee is awesome.
9. for the amazing invention that is writing, for books- I MEAN BOOKS YEET.
10. For fandoms and whole franchises and worlds you can spend hours in.
11. Speaking of franchises for Adventures In Odyssey, because it’s helped me through so many tough times and has just been awesome nuff said.
12. for my violin, for just being there and stringing along.
13. for early mornings that are just havens of silence and thought and leftover chicken.
14. for air conditioning and heating because man it can get reaaally hot.
15. for the blessed blessed gift of sleep.
16. for the end of a long hard week when you can crash and burn.
17. for epic soundtrack music (i.e. Wonder Woman/Avengers) when you absolutely must get back up on your feet.
18. for the Marvel universe, because sometimes you need a hero. Then for the unshakeable fact that God is the ultimate Hero, and nothing can ever bring Him down.
19. for boots, especially cowboy boots. 😛
20. for glasses, because I would go blind without them.
21. for the Internet, because it has just been so helpful, and things would be so different without it.
22. for hugs, cause hugs are hugs.
23. for my sister, because I know I would not be who I am now without her. I love ya!
24. for my amazing Camp NaNo cabinmates, some of whom I’ve been real friends. I’m so grateful for them.
25. for little kiddos who just make your day brighter.
26. Also falling in the make your day brighter category are puppies. Puppies are adorable.
27. for training and exercise, and that you can make yourself stronger from what you are now.
28. for learning new skills, such as changing a tire or painting a wall or deactivating a bomb. You know the kind.
29. for imagination, very strong and well used ones such as mine.
30. and for creativity, which uses imagination and makes interesting things, like washi tape, and books, and avocado lattes.
40. for characters, which are basically imaginary friends, both your own, and both not.
41. for laughter, the kind that’ll make your sides ache but have you feeling better in no time flat.
42. for late night talks under the stars, just enjoying the evening and enjoying the discussion.
43. for that space of time just before your plane leaves the ground.
44. for seeing relatives you haven’t seen in 4 years, and for meeting new friends.
45. for this blog, for blogging in general, for you awesome people who actually read this stuff.
46. for earphones, so you can blast that lovely music to yourself.
47. for late night wordsprinting, racing to finish a deadline.
48. for finishing that deadline, duh.
49. for seeing God throughout your life, even if you don’t notice Him at the time.
50. for the little blessings that make life better.
Well, I guess maybe I do have things to be thankful for. Because God gives good gifts to His children. 🙂 Have a great week, people.
And if you’re wondering where on earth The Ugly Duckling went.. 😉 Wait and see!